Weekly News (28/09/2015)

Sunday, October 04, 2015

In an interview with BBC Radio 4's Today programme, the new Labour party leader - Jeremy Corbyn - made a statement in which he said he had an instruction from his election to oppose to the replacement of Trident and the use of nuclear weapons.

Corbyn said "I am opposed to the use of nuclear weapons. I am opposed to the holding of nuclear weapons. I want to see a nuclear-free world. I believe it is possible." and continued his statement with his response when asked if he would use nuclear weapons: "No."

This is a bold statement as it is not popular opinion among most politicians, including Prime Minister David Cameron who has equally spoke out regarding the matter and saying "The problem with his answer is, if you ... believe like me that Britain should keep the ultimate insurance policy of an independent nuclear deterrent, you have to accept there are circumstances in which its use would be justified".

Corbyn's initial statement was featured in a story by the newspaper "The Guardian" who's readership is generally on the mainstream left of British political opinion. This explains the positive representation of Jeremy Corbyn and the discussion of his positive mantras and ideologies rather than mention of any controversy he might have caused with his recent election.


Likewise, the featured image also holds positive connotations with the use of high-key lighting and a soft, calm colour scheme relying predominantly on blues. An analysis of this image might suggest that the setting is a symbol for today's society: the blue of the image symbolises our Conservative government but, however, the use of red seeping from the horizon may indicate the invasion of the Labour party in the wake of Corbyn's election.

If the paper was to negatively represent Corbyn, it would be likely that they would use an unflattering image or an image depicting the controversy within his life (such as his arrest).

Unflattering image.
Unflattering image


Corbyn's arrest (1984)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hello Sophia!

    First of all I have to say that your blog is gouges! I love the designee its plain and ordered but at the same time very modern and appealing.
    I think you did a good job with you weekly news report. I like it that you not just said where you found your story. You also gave the reader the context of the newspaper ``The Guardian´´ and say for which readership group this article was make for. You also did a good analyse of the visual code of the used pictures.
    I don’t know if I get the exercise maybe wrong but I thought you have to write a report about anything that happened last week. If that’s right my suggestion for improvement for you is write a bit more about what happened. I like it that you analyse the stylistic devices but I think you could report a bit more about you happening.

    Johanna

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe